Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, gave a TED talk in 2010 to share “advice to women aiming for the C-suite.” Since then, she has launched a movement encouraging women to “lean in” and take on the challenges of building strong careers. Her 2013 book, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, shines the spotlight on one vital ingredient in team building: communication. Sandberg discusses this topic many times throughout her book because she recognizes that in order to forge team bonds and make change, communication is key. Here are five quotes from Sandberg on the power of teamwork and effective communication.
(1) “Acting like a coalition truly does produce results.”
(2) “The ability to listen is as important as the ability to speak. Miscommunication is always a two way street.”
(3) “Authentic communication is not always easy, but it is the basis for successful relationships at home and real effectiveness at work.”
(4) “Motivation comes from working on things we care about. It also comes from working with people we care about.”
(5) “The laws of economics and many studies of diversity tell us that if we tapped the entire pool of human resources and talent, our collective performance would improve.”